We all want radiant, healthy skin. The great news is that you don’t have to leave the comforts of your home or spend a fortune on a multitude of retail skin products, most of which are laden with synthetic chemical compounds. Here is a simple evening routine from Young Living’s beauty and wellness expert, Betty Salvatierra, for lavishing your face with the love and care it truly deserves.
Step 1: Cleanse
The purpose of this step is to remove any make-up, dirt, and grease.
Add several drops V-6 oil* (or 1 squirt if using a bottle with a pump) to your fingertips and rub the oil in a circular fashion over your face and neck. Focus on areas of greatest grease accumulation such as your forehead, chin and around your nose. Rub around your eyes to remove all eye makeup, including mascara. Remove the remaining makeup and grease using a cotton ball or pad, again in a gentle, circular fashion.
*Note: Young Living’s V-6 Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex is a nourishing blend of oils including coconut, sesame, sweet almond, grapeseed, sunflower, wheat germ and olive oils. **An alternative to using the V-6 oil is to simply use coconut, olive, or almond oil based upon what you have on hand.
Estimated cost assuming use of 1/3 Tbsp of the V-6 oil which costs $21.75 for an 8oz bottle: $0.41
Step 2: Exfoliate
This exfoliation step stimulates and brightens the skin while removing dead skin cells.
- To a small glass or ceramic container, mix:
- 3 drops of Lemon essential oil
- 1 Tbsp of brown sugar
- 3 squirts of V-6 oil (equivalent to about 1 Tbsp).
- Apply the mixture to the face (and neck, if desired) in a gentle, circular manner.
- Let sit for approximately 10 seconds
- Remove with your thumbs using gentle stroking movements, going from the center of your face outwards
Note: Lemon essential oil is photosensitive meaning it reacts with sunlight to cause a sunburn or rash so be sure not expose your skin to the sun within 8 hours of this treatment. For this reason, this treatment should really only be done in the evenings.
Betty’s recommendation is that exfoliation should be done no more than 1 time per week for older adults and 2 times per month for younger skin.
Estimated cost assuming use of Young Living’s 15ml bottle of Lemon essential oil at wholesale price of $11.25 + 1 Tbsp of V-6 oil + 1 Tbsp brown sugar: $1.53
Step 3: Nourish
This toner step hydrates and nourishes the skin. Add 6 drops of Lavender essential oil to 1 ounce of mineral water to a small spray bottle Mix well and spray all over your face (eyes closed, obviously). Leave to dry on its own.
Betty explained that you can make your own mineral water with carbonated water (here in Ecuador, the common brand is Guitig). Leave it with the cap loose to allow all the gas to escape. When it’s no longer bubbly, then it’s ready to be used. If you don’t have mineral water, you can use clean drinking water instead but mineral water is more beneficial for hydrating the skin.
Estimated cost of 6 drops of lavender plus 1 oz of mineral water is $0.63. However, since we need only need a few sprays, the total cost (assuming 120 sprays per 1 oz) would be approximately $0.04.
Step 4: Hydrating Face Mask
Tighten, hydrate, and close up pores. Create your own face mask by mixing together the following:
- 3 drops of Frankincense essential oil
- 2 Tbsp of oatmeal or quinoa flour (you can make this in advance by blending either oatmeal or quinoa into a very fine powder). In her demonstration, Betty actually used a clay-based powder she called “caulí” but said it wasn’t widely available here in Ecuador.
- Add enough of your lavender-based toner from the previous step to make a paste.
- Apply the mask to your face and neck and let sit for ~15 minutes.
- Gently remove with a soft wet sponge or washcloth.
Estimated cost of 3 drops of frankincense + 1 Tbsp of lavender tonic is $1.48
Step 5: Lift and Tighten
This step promotes younger, vibrant looking skin. To a small glass or ceramic container, add:
- 1 squirt of V-6 oil (or other carrier oil)
- 2 drops of Joy essential oil
- 2 drops of Frankincense essential oil
Using your index finger, dab the mixture (which smells INCREDIBLE, by the way) to the following points:
- center of your chin
- directly above your upper lip
- below both eyes (being careful not to get it too close to your eyes!)
- the top of the bridge of your nose, just below either eyebrow
Mix the blend into your skin using your fingers in an upward and outward movements according to the image below.
Estimated cost of 2 drops each of joy and frankincense plus 1 squirt of V-6 is $1.52
Step 6: Seal and Protect
This final step seals and protects your skin and locks in moisture to keep your skin feeling hydrated and refreshed.
Spray your face and neck with your lavender-based toner from Step 3 and let dry on its own.
Estimated cost (from estimation in Step 3) is $0.04
Now your skin is glowing from the inside out AND you smell absolutely amazing! How much would you normally expect to pay for a full facial spa experience? $15, $20, $40, more? I estimated that the total cost of this 6 step, complete facial treatment comes to about $5.00!
A special thank you to Betty Salvatierra and Samira Molina who came from Young Living’s South American office in Guayaquil to our little town of San Clemente to present these awesome techniques as well as give away some awesome prizes to our attendees!
***Para ver todos los pasos en español, HAGA UN CLIC AQUI para abrir un documento PDF.***